Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Just because I knit doesn't mean I'm old

I have a confession: I LOVE to knit.  The worst part about it, is when people ask me when I learned to knit and I have to tell them...college (insert laughs and jokes about how lame my college life must have been).

College was a great time, and knitting was just something I happened to pick up thanks to my roommate my sophomore year.  Really, I could not be happier about it.  I've been able to make scarves, hats, baby booties, and baby blankets for some very special people.  I truly believe that a gift that is made for someone has so much meaning and people appreciate it.

Something that I was able to do this year that was even better than giving someone a handmade gift, was teach about 25 nine and ten year old students how to knit.  Watching them over the course of a few months learn, fail, get frustrated, succeed, and produce something that they were so proud of was amazing to see.  When they come up and ask for help with a project or just want to show off their new work, seeing them proud of themselves is so great.

With the school year getting ready to end (it will be here before I know it) I think I am going to miss the Tuesday Knitting Club.  I look forward to what we can do next year and hope to create a project that we are able to donate and share with others.  Hopefully more on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment